Friday, May 29, 2009

Friday, 5/29/09

Drag Me to Hell - 3 1/2 stars

This is the best horror movie I have seen in a long time. The trailers aren't showing it, but in addition to the scary stuff, there is a lot of humor. Very reminiscent of the Evil Dead trilogy. And unlike most horror movies, its actually a pretty good movie. You will not be bored when you are waiting for the next big scare. The characters are good, the dialogue is good, the acting is good, its all good.

"Here, kitty, kitty ..."

Up - 3 stars

Like all Pixar movies, this is good. But in my opinion, not as good as Wall-E was. In fact, the best part of this movie is the first 10 minutes. It will make you cry. Seriously. The funniest parts in the movie involve the dogs. Their inventor has created special collars that vocalize what's going on inside the dogs' heads. So unlike other 'talking dog' movies, the stuff they say is very random and very funny.

I think everyone will enjoy this movie, but its not a 4-star movie or anything. Just calm down, everyone.

Sita Sings the Blues - 2 1/2 stars

This is one of those movies that other critics seem to love. While I admire its originality, I was kind of bored by the end. I didn't love it.

Its an interesting movie though. It tells the epic Indian tale of Ramayana, but its a musical. The songs are 1920's jazz songs by Annette Hanshaw. Very strange and what a fascinating idea. The movie is animated 2-D style, and its quite brilliant. I almost went higher on my star rating, but I have to be honest. I just didn't like it much.

The Garden - didn't see
The Brothers Bloom - didn't see
Anvil! The Story of Anvil - didn't see

The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Saturday at midnight at the Tower


This summer, the Salt Lake Film Society is showing classic movies at the Tower at midnight. This weekend, its RHPS and according to my information, there will be a live cast there, just like we get at Halloween. Just a jump to the left ...

1 comment:

Cami said...

Thanks Mike....It doesn't matter how great a movie is or isnt. Kids just like it anyway! We have a few on our list, this one and night at the museum.