Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sundance - Day 0

The Sundance Film Festival begins tomorrow. This will be the first time I have covered the festival as a member of the press. I have always tried to attend a few movies during the festival, but between my schedule and ticket prices, I've only been able to average 2 movies per festival for the last few years. This time I will be seeing several movies per day. I hope to keep this up until the end of the festival, but I have a feeling that I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. Its no coincidence that some local critics take a week's vacation right after the festival ends.

Today I went to the press office at festival headquarters to pick up my press credentials. As I was driving to Park City I had this image in my mind of a ballroom full of press, and waiting in line for an hour to get my pass. Imagine my surprise when I only had to wait about 30 seconds. There were only two people in front of me.

So I picked up my press pass, my FilterForGood reusable bottle, and my festival guide. Then I waited a minute for someone to tell me what came next. I quickly realized that they were wondering what I was still standing there for. I guess I assumed that there would be more to it. I was really hoping some helpful person would say "Orientation for first timers is right over there." I introduced myself to some of the publicists, went to the general information booth, asked a couple of questions about press screenings, and left.

Tomorrow the plan is a press preview at noon, opening day press conference at 2, then a screening of Mary and Max at 6:30. Good times.

No comments: