Friday, April 24, 2009

out Friday, 4/24/09

The Soloist - 2 stars

The movie started out well. Robert Downey Jr. is one of my favorite actors, and he does a lot of little things that made me laugh. If the movie were about his character, I think I would have liked it a lot more. Jamie Foxx does a decent job playing a crazy homeless musical genius, but the movie just didn't make me care about him at all. The movie could have lost a good 20 minutes, because it really started to drag in the 3rd act.

I didn't like Joe Wright's last movie (Atonement), so I guess I can say I don't like his movies.

Fighting - not screened for critics

Obsessed - not screened for critics

Earth - didn't see


Gigantic - 1 1/2 stars

This was trying so hard to be a quirky independant movie, and it didn't really work. It had some funny moments, but overall it didn't work for me. Paul Dano's character wants to adopt a Chinese baby, and he has since he was a kid. I was annoyed that no one tried to talk him out of it. No one questioned whether it was a good idea for a single 28-year old guy to adopt and raise a baby. Not to sound too conservative, but ideally a kid should have two parents. If he wanted to adopt a baby just because he always wanted one, isn't he doing it for purely selfish reasons?

Zooey Deschanel is adorable but I didn't get her character. She claims she has never had a boyfriend and never been in love, but she is bold enough to ask Paul Dano's character to have sex while they are waiting for her father at the doctor's office. I don't buy it that someone that aggresive has never had a serious relationship. John Goodman had some funny lines and I think I would have liked the movie more if he had more screen time. The crazy homeless guy that stalks Paul Dano made no sense at all. And why didn't he ever tell anyone about it? If I had some crazy homeless guy attack me even once, I would tell everyone and report it to the police. At the very least, it would make for an interesting story.

Hunger - still watching

I got about 30 minutes in and I was not able to finish it. I plan on finishing the movie and posting my full review this weekend. So far, I was not impressed. The movie looked good, but I got really bored.

Informers - didn't see

Delightful Water Universe - didn't see



I will confess one reason I have a hard time getting to all the independant movies. They are sent as DVD screeners so critics can watch them at home at their leisure (as opposed to press or promo screenings, which are scheduled). The problem with this is that there is a limited number of screeners available. Basically all the critics have to share them. And since I don't work for a newspaper, I am just about last when it comes to getting the screeners. Once I confirm that the major local critics have seen the movies, I will attempt to get my hands on the screeners. That means that the more independant movies that are released on a Friday, the less likely it is that I have seen them all.

I just say that in case anyone wonders why I do a better job of catching all the major releases while skipping the independant movies. Its not because I don't like them. Its just more challenging to see them in time.

No comments: