Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Missed a couple of weeks or so ...

Yeah, I know. I'm lazy. But trust me - I was very busy. So here are a few reviews:

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 1 1/2 stars

It's all been said already. I don't know what else I can add. The first hour, I was going along with it. I overlooked the stupidity of Sam having a shard of the All Spark in his pocket. What, he didn't wear that hoodie for 2 years? And if shards came off the All Spark when he destroyed it, why didn't a decepticon just grab a shard and revive Megatron right after he died? And after the introduce the idea of the shard in his pocket, they abandon that storyline. There is another shard kept in some secret underground base, guarded by the army. What??? Why?

I also overlooked how rediculous that Decepticon was that looked like a human. I mean, really. If they could do that, why haven't they done that before? And why don't we see any more?

Anyway, the first hour was still pretty good setup. If I could overlook the first movie's faults and still enjoy it, I could do it again. The problem is the movie gets dumber and dumber as it goes. The Jar Jar Binks twins? Annoying as hell. And how about the way they keep adding elements to the story as it goes? It's like Michael Bay said "What else can we do here? I know - how about a machine inside a pyramid that can destroy the sun! Brilliant!" And I'm not going to mention the worst part of the movie - Sam going to robot heaven. Not going to mention it ...

Rudo Y Cursi - 2 1/2 stars

It was nice to see Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal together again (if you've never seen Y Tu Mama Tambien, you should). But this was not that good. It's about two brothers in Mexico who want to be professional soccer players. One has a gambling problem and the other wants to be a pop star. Very forgettable movie.

Away We Go - 2 1/2 stars

John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph star as a couple who are about to have a baby. They travel from city to city trying to decide which city they want to raise their baby in. In each city, they meet up with someone they know - a former co-worker, a former girlfriend, a former roommate, ect.

There are some parts of the movie that are really funny. And between the funny parts, there are some nice moments where the couple is discussing their fears about raising a child. But the rest of the movie is kind of tedious. I was bord a lot of the time.

And there is no discussion of money. How can they afford to not work and fly at a moment's notice? To buy a plane ticket the day of travel costs a lot. That kind of bugged me.

Public Enemies - 3 stars

Johnny Depp as John Dillinger and Christian Bale as Neal Purvis, the FBI agent who hunts him down. The performances were great - this almost makes up for Terminator: Salvation. The movie was exciting and I was never bored. It was 2 1/2 hours long and it never felt it.

My only complaint about the movie is the way it was filmed. It was shot on digital video and it looks it. Sometimes it looked more like a newscast than a film. That can work for some movies but not a period movie. It was kind of distracting.

Whatever Works - 3 stars

I haven't seen many Woody Allen movies, so I can't compare this to his best movies. But I love Larry David, and this is the perfect part for him. I didn't laugh out loud that much during the movie. Instead, I was just sitting there amused. Kind of strange for a comedy, but I enjoyed it.

No comments: