Thursday, September 3, 2009

Friday, September 3rd

Extract - 2 1/2 stars

I had high expectations for this. It has a great cast (Jason Bateman, Kristen Wiig, JK Simmons, Ben Affleck) and it was written and directed by Mike Judge (Office Space, Beavis & Butthead). But the funniest parts were all in the trailer. There were a few other funny parts, but I didn't laugh all that much. The movie is a lot of setup and not a lot of payoff.

I'm not saying the movie sucks, but it was not nearly as funny as it should have been. If you are going to see this, keep your expectations low.

All About Steve - 1 1/2 stars

Not a good movie. I laughted quite a bit, but I was usually laughing at how ridiculous the movie was, rather than how funny it was. Sandra Bullock plays a crazy woman, and when the movie is being cynical about how crazy she is, it works. But too often the movie wants us to like her and admire her for being a good person, and that just doesn't work.

Gamer - not screened for critics

Management - only screened for a select few critics, and I am not one of the select few

Soul Power - didn't see

Little Ashes - only saw half the movie
...

... and I was bored to death. I couldn't finish it. If I had to rate the first half of the movie, I'd give it zero stars. Maybe it gets better in the second half, but I had to bail at the one hour mark or I would have killed myself.

No comments: