Saturday, March 21, 2009

Out Friday, 3/20/09

I Love You, Man - 3 stars

This wasn't quite as funny as Role Models or Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but it was still very funny. Jon Favreau steals every scene he is in. And I especially liked all the stuff with Rush (FYI, I was in a Rush tribute band for 5 years).

Duplicity - 2 1/2 stars

I liked this better than I liked Michael Clayton, Tony Gilroy's last movie. It was confusing as hell. I will need to see it again to understand it. Half the movie is comprised of flashbacks, and almost every one changes the meaning of the previous scene.

Knowing - 2 1/2 stars

The trailers only give you the setup of this movie. Nic Cage's son brings home a piece of paper with numbers on it. The paper comes from a 50-year old time capsule, and the numbers predict every major disaster in the last 50 years. There are 3 disasters left on the page that haven't happened yet.

As the movie progresses, strange men periodically appear. They stand off in the distance watching the main characters, just looking creepy. Once the movie ends and you look back on it, you realize that a lot of it doesn't hold together. What was the point of the numbers? The 'whisper people' could have just told the important people what they needed to know.

I still enjoyed it anyway. Its a good sci-fi story, like a good twilight zone episode or something.

The Great Buck Howard - 1 1/2 stars

The only reason to see this is John Malkovich. I can't remember ever seeing him play a character like this. But the movie isn't funny enough to be a comedy, and I didn't care about the characters enough for it to be a good drama. I wasn't sure if we were supposed to like Buck Howard or not. And there were way too many celebrity cameos.

No comments: