Friday, October 24, 2008

In SLC theaters today.

Boy A - 3 1/2 stars

Jack (Andrew Garfield) has just been released from prison. We don't know why yet, but we do know his name isn't Jack. His mentor Terry (Peter Mullan) told him to pick a new name, because he doesn't want anyone to know his past. His past doesn't matter anyway. According to Terry, his present and future is what he should be concerned with.

Jack starts a job, makes friends, and even finds a girlfriend. At the same time, we are shown flashbacks of Jack as a kid (then named Eric) and his friend Philip. As the movie goes along, we will discover what he did and why he doesn't want anyone to know his past.

The less you know about the movie, the better you will enjoy it. It was made in Manchester, England and the accents are sometimes a little hard to understand (for us Americans, anyway). But Peter Mullan (Children of Men, Braveheart) is captivating every moment he is on screen. And Andrew Garfield (Lions for Lambs) is very convincing. The movie starts out slow, really taking its time to develop the characters. But if you give it a chance, the movie pulls you in. I really liked this movie.

Pride and Glory - 2 stars

Colin Farrell, Edward Norton, Noah Emmerich, and Jon Voight are a family of cops. Some of them are corrupt, some are not, and some can't make up their mind. This is about the 1,000th movie about corrupt cops, and I liked last year's We Own The Night much better.

The biggest problem with the movie is the pacing. The opening credit sequence should take 2 minutes, but it drags on for at least 10. I think if they had cut 30 - 45 minutes out of this, it would have tightened up the narrative and the movie would work. But as it is, I was exhausted by the end of it. The scene where Farrell almost irons the baby was pretty cool, though.

High School Musical 3 (not reviewed)

I don't think there is much gray area here. Either you are a fan of HSM 1 and 2, or you're not. You know what to expect, and I hope you enjoy it.

Saw V (not reviewed)

Same thing here. I saw Saw 1 - 3, but I didn't bother with 4. I think I'm done with the Saw franchise. The first one was creepy the first time, but there is nothing in it to make want to see it again, unlike the Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th series. I did like Saw 2 better than 1, but I had enough with part 3. I'm out.

No comments: