Saturday, March 27, 2010

3/26/10 and 3/19/10

Hot Tub Time Machine - 3 stars

Funny as hell, but drags a bit in the last act.

How to Train Your Dragon - 3 stars

Good story, bits of humor, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I saw it in 2-D, but I'll bet it looks incredible in 3-D.

Chloe - 3 1/2 stars

Amanda Seyfried is sexy as hell. I thought the story was really good, and it kept me guessing. I figured not everything was as it seemed (or as Chloe was describing), but I didn't know where the story would go. I really felt for Julianne Moore's character. Whether her husband is cheating or not, theirs isn't a happy marriage anymore.

Greenberg - didn't see
Art of the Steal - didn't see
House - didn't see


And from last week:

The Bounty Hunter - 2 stars

Not funny. It could have been funny, if say Jennifer Aniston was a bitch, and the movie made us hate her and identify with Gerard Butler. If it was a horrible divorce and she was treating him like crap and taking him for everything he was worth, then we would feel his joy when he gets to arrest his ex.

But the movie does none of that. We figure out that neither party was to blame, or both were to blame equally. As he mistreats her, we start to feel bad for her and start to not like him. The movie just doesn't work.

Repo Men - 1 1/2 stars

Even worse. Jude Law murders people and takes their organs back. He doesn't feel conflicted about this in the slightest, until he gets a heart transplant. Then, because he can suddenly identify with the other people who's organs are being repossessed, he suddenly develops a conscience. No, doesn't work. The movie is too ridiculous. I couldn't buy into its premise. Plus, it was boring. Although I started to like it a bit more halfway thru when I figured out that it was a comedy.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid - 3 stars

A good movie for kids. It did a good job of reminding me of things from when I was in school. But a complain I have is that the kid is too much of a jerk to his best friend, and he is too cocky. I think most kids are less sure of themselves. Everyone wants to be popular in school, but not many kids expect to be popular. At least that's what I think.

Red Riding Trilogy - 2 1/2 stars

Three movies, three different directors, one writer, many of the same characters. I love this in principal, but it wasn't executed very well. It could have been shortened. I was confused. There are so many characters and storylines to keep track of. Plus the northern English accents were so hard to follow it made it even more difficult to understand the movie. I look forward to watching it with subtitles when it comes out on DVD. I may like it better then.

No comments: