Friday, May 28, 2010

Sex and the City 2 - 2 stars

I have never seen an episode of the HBO series. Saw the first movie and it was not as bad as I thought it would be. I guess I would say the same thing about this movie. It was way too long - two and a half hours is too long for a comedy with likable characters.

But I did laugh. There were funny parts. Some jokes were obviously coming, but there were some genuine funny character moments. Lines like "Lawrence of my labia" and "Abu Dhabi Doo" made me laugh. Towards the end of the movie, Samantha is surrounded by conservative Muslims and condoms fall out of her bag. The way she waves them in the faces of the shocked crowd and exclaims "That's right, I have sex!" was pretty funny.

But it's hard to like characters who are so rich and clueless. Samantha doesn't know that you shouldn't show lots of leg and cleavage in a middle eastern country? Really? Carrie is actually surprised that Big wants to do what all married men want to do: sit on the couch and watch TV. Big is actually surprised that Carrie wants to go out to dinner, go to parties, and be seen? That's why she wears the ridiculous outfits that she does - to be seen in them. Those two really should have talked more before they got married.

The movie starts with a gay wedding officiated by Liza Minnelli. I actually got to like her in Arrested Development, but that's all gone now. Her face looks like Katherine Helmond's from Brazil, and her musical number is the most annoying thing I have ever seen. Seriously.

There is a nice scene between Charlotte and Miranda where they discuss how difficult it is to be a mother. The movie could have used a few more scenes like that. But wait, that would make the movie longer! I just don't know.

No comments: