Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Haunting in Connecticut - 3 stars

I liked this movie. I've heard a few people say it sucks, the story is stupid, its nothing but easy scares, ect. But I thought the story was interesting. The scares were good but I didn't think there were too many. There were also some really good creepy scenes that freaked me out just a little bit. Stories about dead people, ghosts, seances, dead bodies coming to life, thinks like that freak me out.

I also thought the performances were good. Elias Koteas was great as a cancer patient / priest / expert on the occult, and Virginia Madsen was good as always. The only weak spot was Martin Donovan as the father. It wasn't necessarily a bad performance, they just didn't give him much to do. He disappears for 20 minutes at a time and shows up only long enough to provide some family tension, then he disappears again. The scene where he is playing his guitar and crying is pretty rediculous, as is the scene where he comes home drunk and freaks out about the lights being on. I don't remember anyone ever telling the father about the whole 'haunting' thing. I would think the family would tell him, and maybe then he would be a little more supportive.

Overall, a very good ghost story.

No comments: