Sunday, May 10, 2009

Is Anybody There? - 2 1/2 stars

Michael Caine is one of my favorite actors. I would almost rather watch him in a bad movie than watch other actors in a better movie.

Not saying that Is Anybody There? is a bad movie. Its not, just mediocre. Caine plays Clarence, an old, retired magician who goes to live in an old folks home. Bill Milner (Son of Rambow) plays Edward, a kid who's parents run the old folks home. The family lives in the home, and Edward is fascinated by death and ghosts. When one of the residents dies, he hides a tape recorder under the bed, hoping to record evidence of life after death.

At first, Clarence hates Edward. But Edward is curious about the old man, and eventually they develop a friendship. Clarence becomes almost a surrogate grandfather to the kid. This is a story we have seen before. I liked it ok, but it is very forgettable. I don't think I would ever want to see it again.

No comments: