Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Heat - 3 1/2 stars

You may be thinking from the trailers that this is basically Miss Congeniality 3.  You would be mistaken.

Sandra Bullock is an FBI agent, and her character did remind me of her Miss Congeniality character.  In this movie, she goes to Boston to track a drug smuggler.  She is partnered up with a local cop played by Melissa McCarthy.  Neither one wants to work with the other, and they start out on the worst possible foot. 

This movie is funny.  McCarthy has been funny before, but this is Bridesmaids-level funny.  In fact, I think she is even funnier here.  She is tough as nails, hates everyone, and I need to see this movie again so I can write down some of her best insults.  The things that come out of her mouth have to be heard to be believed.

This movie reminded me a little of the Lethal Weapon movies.  One reason those movies worked so well was the chemistry between Mel Gibson and Danny Glover.  Bullock and McCarthy have that chemistry.  They make a great team, and I would love to see a sequel.  This is almost as consistently funny as This Is the End.

No comments: