Thursday, July 11, 2013

White House Down - 3 stars

It's funny that this is the second "Die Hard in the White House" movie we have had this year.  The first was Olympus Has Fallen a few months ago.  That movie was better, but this one is still pretty fun. 

Channing Tatum is really good in the John McClain role.  He has some good one liners, and he is just a good screen presence.  Jamie Foxx on the other hand, I don't know.  He does a good job, but I just have a hard time buying him as the president.  He needed to be at least 10 years older, in my opinion.

As usual in movies like this, the characters make horrible decisions.  The bad guys aren't as threatening as they should be - for example, they threaten to kill hostages if the army moves in.  Then the army moves in, and they don't kill any hostages, or even threaten to.  They just start fighting the army.  There are secret tunnels that the Secret Service knows about.  They never think about sneaking a special forces team into the White House to help. 

This is one of those movies where you can't think too much about the dumb decisions everyone is making.  If the movie was less entertaining, I would be just picking it apart.  But it was fun, the characters were interesting, and I was never bored.  So I was more forgiving of the dumb parts and I enjoyed it.

No comments: