Friday, December 26, 2008

Bedtime Stories - 0 stars

Happy Madison productions has turned out some crap before, but now they have teamed up with Disney to produce one of the worst examples of family entertainment I have seen this year. The movie is so unfunny it makes Four Christmases look like A Fish Called Wanda. I think I laughed exactly twice: once when Russell Brand wakes up screaming from night terrors, and once when I heard Sandler's ringtone. Its a stupid, annoying ringtone, but it made me laugh. The rest of the movie, not so much.

Sandler plays Skeeter Bronson, the handyman at a large hotel. Apparently he is the only one on staff, even though it looks like a 4 star hotel. He babysits his niece and nephew when their mother goes out of town, and he tells them bedtime stories every night before they go to sleep. As he tells the stories, the kids supply the endings, and the parts the kids make up tend to come true the next day. When the kid says "it starts raining gumdrops", the next day a truck full of gumdrops crashes on the overpass above him. When the kid says "the hero gets kicked by a dwarf", the next day a member of an angry gang of dwarfs walks over and kicks him.

This could have been funny, but Adam Shankman has no idea how to make a funny movie. As I researched this movie (meaning I read imdb.com), I see the movie was written by Matt Lopez and Tim Herlihy. Tim Herlihy is responsible for many of Adam Sandler's movies, and Matt Lopez is credited with "additional story material" on The Wild. To my horror, I just discovered that Matt Lopez is one of the writers on Race to Witch Mountain. I was already dreading that remake.

One big problem with Bedtime Stories for me was the guinea pig with the big eyes. It never made me laugh, but they kept cutting to it. Its as if they realized that the movie was crap, and they figured that kids would laugh every time they cut to the guinea pig. Filmmaking for kids has never been so lazy.

No comments: