Thursday, February 12, 2009

Friday the 13th - 3 stars

I like the Friday the 13th movies. I also like the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. If I had to choose between them, I'd choose Nightmare on Elm Street. I've seen all the Nightmare movies many times. As a kid, I was really into Freddy Krueger. But I was never scared by him. He was kind of like James Bond, always using lame one-liners. But Jason scared the crap out of me.

The new Friday the 13th is kind of a remake of the first 4 movies, all merged into one. Actually, its a remake of 2, 3, and 4, since the events of the first movie are recapped at the beginning of Part 2. In this movie, we get a prologue that shows Mrs. Voorhees being beheaded by the last survivor of her killing spree. She kills the counselors for letting her son Jason drown. But of course, Jason didn't drown. After his mother is beheaded, a young Jason finds it. For some reason, I was reminded of Attach of the Clones, when young Bobba Fett is looking at the head of his father, Jango.

The prologue took place in 1980. We flash forward to present day and a group of horny teenagers are camping in the woods near Camp Crystal Lake. Adult Jason shows up and kills them. As they were being killed, I was thinking wow, they're getting killed off pretty fast. This movie's gonna be over in no time. Well, after the last one is killed, the title of the movie appears. Oh, I get it. Its a pre-title sequence, just like in James Bond. Then we get introduced to a new batch of teenagers. We will spend the rest of the movie with them.

The movie is a lot of fun, if you like slasher movies. We get pretty much everything we want in a movie like this: good kills, boobs, and some good scares. The only complaints I have is the characters aren't well developed. There are 4 main guys: the guy looking for his sister, the rich asshole, the black guy, and the asian guy. But I lost track of how many girls there were. There are a couple of hot blondes, and a couple of hot brunettes. They weren't written very well, and the actors weren't very good. They were so forgettable that at the end when one of the girls was killed, I wasn't sure which one was killed, the sister or the other girl.

Other than that, I liked the movie. I will have to go back and re-watch the other movies to decide where this one falls in my scale of the best to the worst of the Fridays. But I still like Part 4 - The Final Chapter the best.

No comments: