Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Pink Panther 2 - 2 stars

I was dreading this movie. I didn't see the last Pink Panther movie with Steve Martin, but I saw enough from the previews to get an idea of what the movie would be like. Its a kids movie. I think kids may enjoy seeing Steve Martin do a goofy french accent and make faces. I didn't hate it, but I can't recommend it. I think I laughed a few times and chuckled a few more times. That's about it.

One strange thing about the movie is Jean Reno's performance. He is a French actor. He has been in many American movies where he speaks English. When he does, he already has a French accent. But in this movie, he sounded strange. I think he was kind of copying Steve Martin's accent. So you have a French actor doing an exaggerated French accent. Weird.

You can see most of the jokes coming a mile away. There is a scene with The Pope where Steve Martin puts on The Pope's robes and hat and goes to the window. Boy, I wonder if the crowd is going to think he is The Pope??? Then he leans over the railing. What a surprise it will be if he falls over! I think Eurotrip did a 'mistaken for The Pope' gag much better.

Lily Tomlin is in this movie. Watching her and Steve Martin together, it made me really want to watch All of Me again.

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, I have never seen a Pink Panther movie before. I haven't seen any of the ones with Peter Sellers. I have heard they are great, and I'm ashamed to admit that this is the first Pink Panther movie I have seen. I head A Shot in the Dark is one of the best. Better put that on my netflix queue ...

No comments: